Updated: 8/20/2023 | Lack of Color Review + $10 Coupon
About Lack of Color
Lack of Color (LOC) is a men’s, women’s, and kid’s hat company based in Australia.
LOC was founded by creative couple Tess Corvaia and Robert Tilbury in 2011. They wanted to create innovative and wearable luxury headwear.
They recently launched their Luxe Collection, a small capsule featuring their signature fedoras with taller crowns, leather details, and even softer Australian wool. We love all four of the neutral colors but that speckled stonewash grey is probably our favorite.
Lack of Color Review
We’ve been wanting to try their hats for a while and were finally able to snag one on Mercari and Shopbop.
Using our own hard-earned money, we invested in the following LOC hats to review in this post:
- Western Palma Desert Hat ($100) – I found this hat for only $59 on Shopbop! I am obsessed with the oversized look and lifted brim. It comes with a chin strap that is decorated with wooden pastel beads. The size L/XL fits my 58 cm hat.
- The Mirage Rancher ($149) – I purchased this hat in both black and forest green and I LOVE this hat. I wear a size Large (59 cm). The brim is not stiff and the hat can be steamed back to normal very easily. The only thing I don’t like about this hat is that the inner band is not adjustable. It fits a little loose on my head so probably won’t be wearing it if it’s too windy outside.
- Scalloped Dolce Hat ($139) – This hat makes domed hats look a lot cooler. The scalloped brim is eye-catching and looks amazing with summer dresses. It also comes with interchangeable chin straps (white and black). The hat is also very durable.
- Rancher Hat ($130) – I purchased this hat in a medium (57 cm) and it ran REALLY small. I could not even put it around the circumference of my head which I can typically do with a size medium. It just floated on the crown. It also comes in tons of colors to choose from. I ended up selling this style on Mercari.
Below we’ll go over the pros and cons of Lack and Color headwear.
Lack of Colors Pros
- Size-Inclusive – The majority of LOC’s hat styles are offered in different sizes so you are bound to find a hat style and size that is best for you. There are select styles that come in one size (OS) options. If you need additional help, we’ve also written up a guide on how to find your perfect hat size. I am a size 58 cm in hats and wear LOC size L or L/XL hats.
- Timeless styles – All their hat styles are very timeless and classic.
- Hats are sustainably hand-made. Hats are designed in Australia and all their wool is from Australia. Some hats are manufactured in heavily regulated factories all over the world, including Mexico, USA, China & the Dominican Republic. They always ensure their manufacturing partners are paying fair wages and adhering to sustainable manufacturing practices.
- Hats are easy to care for. An expensive hat does not mean that it requires dry-cleaning and is high maintenance. LOC’s hats can be taken care of with just a few cleaning tools. Care instructions can be found here.
- Free shipping on orders of $300 USD. This is not a deal by any means, but it does take some time and resources to ship from Australia. Return shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer.
- Wishlist feature so that you can save your favorite styles and be alerted of restocks.
Lack of Color Cons
- Hat sizes RUN SMALL. While they do offer inclusive hat sizing, their hats run small. I could not get a size medium hat (57 cm) to fit around my head as they typically do but very tightly.
- Return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. LOC allows returns up to 14 days. Read their return policy in more detail here.
- Expensive – Their hats are more expensive when compared to other brands such as Wallaroo and San Diego Hat Company. Their hat pricing ranges from $62 for a visor to upwards of $168 for a wide-brimmed hat.
- They do not offer sales often. It’s very rare to see a LOC sale. When they do offer a sale, it’s typically during the holidays or Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
- Their straw hats can get easily damaged. Our Palma straw hat started to unravel after two weeks of wear. We highly recommend using a hat box with your LoC straw hats.
- Their stockist list is not up to date. We’ve researched and listed LOC hat retailers below.
Should I Buy Lack of Color Hats?
Yes! We love the quality of the hats and how gorgeous they look with everything we wear. We highly recommend LOC based on their craftsmanship, style, and sustainable and fair business practices.
We do not recommend their straw hats if you’re looking for styles that are low maintenance. Their Palma straw hat came undone after two weeks of use. We recommend using a hat box or bag if you go with their straw styles.
If you’re new to the brand, we highly recommend checking out their most popular styles:
Where to Buy Lack of Color
Shop for Lack of Color hats directly on their website.
Use our link to save $20 off your first order of $100+.
You can also shop Lack of Color at these other verified retailers:
- Bohemian Mama – Use this link for 10% off your first order of $100+.
- Free People
- Largo Drive
- Lulus – Use this link to save $20 off your first order at Lulu’s.
- Moda Operandi
- Red Dress Boutique
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Shopbop – We found some of the best LOC deals on Shopbop!
- Show Me Your Mumu
If you found our Lack of Color review helpful, please share it on Pinterest. Thanks for your support!
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.