Knack Travel Backpack$295
- Plastic Free Packaging
- Water Resistant
- Lifetime Guarantee
- Padded Laptop Sleeve
- Expandable Storage
- Carry-On Size
- No External Straps
- No Color Options
Updated: 8/11/2022 | Knack Review: Large Expandable Knack Pack
Disclaimer: I received the Knack backpack to review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine and 100% honest.
Knack is a travel accessories company that focuses on creating travel backpacks.
Knack was created by founder Charles “Chad” Mullen in 2016. Mullen wanted to create a One Bag Life solution, and thus the Knack backpack was born.
Mullen has an extensive background in marketing and development, so he got together with friends from TUMI, The North Face, Coach, and eBags and spent more than two years researching, designing, prototyping and testing. Together, they created the perfect One Bag Life solution; the Knack backpack.
Knack Review: Large Expandable Knack Pack
We received the following Knack backpack to review in this post:
Prior to receiving my Knack backpack, I was using my PAKT backpack for all my short and long-haul travels.
Related: PAKT Backpack Review
Upon receiving the backpack, I was surprised to see how minimal and sustainable the packaging was. I opened the cardboard packaging and found the backpack inside a large drawstring storage bag.
The backpack felt SUPER light. It also looked very futuristic and clean. The backpack gives off a “work backpack” look but functions like the ultimate travel backpack.
Let’s get the lowdown on the Knack backpack and how it is built.
- Unexpanded: 21.5″ x 14″ x 4.5″
- Expanded: 21.5″ x 14″ x 9.5″
- Unexpanded: 30 Liters
- Expanded: 46 Liters
- Weight: 3 pounds 4 ounces
- Laptop Pocket:
- Up to 17″ inches
- Dimensions: 17.5″ x 12.5″ x 2″ (fits 17” laptop)
- External Materials: Lightweight, 420 denier, high-density, nylon fabric woven with high-twist yarn for great durability. PU coating for water resistance. Tested to carry loads up to 40 pounds. Durable 840D ballistic nylon bottom panel for enhanced wear characteristics.
- Internal Lining: Custom, stain-resistant, 150 denier polyester logo print lining with anti-microbial treatment to inhibit mold and mildew
Below we’ll lay out the pros and cons of the Knack travel backpack.
Pros of the Knack Backpack
- Minimalist design. This bag has many smart compartments and pockets. It’s constructed in a way that makes accessing your belongings easy.
- Lightweight. The bag is only 3 lbs and 4 ounces. It’s the lightest travel backpack I’ve used to date.
- Lay flat dual compartment. The lay-flat dual compartment and zip-around construction allow you to open the backpack like a book when unzipped. It gives you easy access to all your belongings. I like being able to see everything I’ve brought with me.
- Carry-on sized. Small and compact enough to carry 7-10 days worth of clothing, toiletries, electronics, and shoes. You can easily tuck away your backpack into the overhead cabin or under a plane seat.
- Removable sternum strap. Backpacks can strain your back. Use the sternum strap to distribute weight evenly when wearing the bag. Did we mention the straps are also removable?
- Removable hip strap. The bag also comes with a hip strap for added support! It’s also removable.
- SO MANY POCKETS. There is a pocket for everything:
- Padded back sleeve pocket for your laptop (can hold up to a 17″ laptop)
- Two large compartments with multiple pockets inside. Some pockets are lined in fleece for your sunglasses and other delicate belongings.
- Large compartment for clothing, shoes, and accessories. Includes a large zipped mesh compartment.
- Zippered water bottle pocket on the side
- Water-resistant outer coating. While the bag is not waterproof, it is water resistant and will keep all your stuff protected rain or shine.
- Trolley strap. Slip the backpack over your rolling suitcase. The trolley strap is located on the back of the bag and comes in super handy when you’re traveling with a carry-on suitcase and need a place to put your backpack.
- Plastic-free packaging! Delivered in 100% plastic-free packaging.
- Free US shipping on orders over $50 USD.
- Free Returns! Customers have a 30-day window to return their bag for free or to exchange it for another bag.
Cons of the Knack Backpack
- Expensive. A Knack backpack will run you anywhere between $185 to $295 USD depending on the size and style you choose.
- Only available in black (for now). I love wearing colors! The large size Knack backpack is currently only available in black.
- No compact storage option. The backpack size is pretty bulky, so it will take up a lot of room on your shelves when not in use. Knack bags do come with a drawstring bag for storage, which is nice.
- No outer straps – As a photographer, outer straps make life so easy for me. I can carry my tripod without it taking up space within my backpack or carrying it in my hands.
- No free international shipping. There are shipping costs to both Canada, Mexico and internationally.
- No mention of sustainable practices. We looked over their website and could not find anything regarding the company’s sustainable practices.
Should I Buy a Knack Backpack?
As a travel blogger, I’ve had the opportunity to review a LOT of travel backpacks and I can say with all honesty that Knack is my favorite!
It offers so much functionality and looks very clean. It’s also super lightweight and has so many features that help make traveling light super easy and manageable.
We highly recommend getting a Knack backpack for all your short and long-haul travels.
Where to Buy Knack Bags?
Buy Knack bags directly from their website and enjoy free US shipping on all orders over $50 USD.
If you found our Knack review helpful, please share it on Pinterest! Thank you!
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.