I live in Seattle, Washington and someone recently asked me about my vape pen setup. I prefer to use an open source pen over a proprietary pen (such as the Pax). It’s easier to replace and the technology is more accessible and much cheaper than proprietary pens.
The Benefits of Using a Vape Pen
- Smoke-free. There is no combustion, flame, or ash involved in vaporizing. This is both cleaner and better for health.
- Less odor. Because smoke is removed from the process, less odor is produced, and it dissipates more quickly than smoke.
- More discreet. Vape pens are portable and the vapor they emit is less conspicuous than cannabis smoke.
- More efficient. Because concentrates are typically 80% – 90% THC, vaporizing is more efficient than smoking plant matter.
Anatomy of a Vape Pen
- Battery: This is what powers the device and usually the longest part of the pen.
- Heating chamber / atomizer: This is where your concentrated cannabis oil, wax, or dry herbs are placed to be heated until they produce a vapor. Attaches to the battery.
- Mouthpiece: This is the part that you draw the vapor from and attaches to the heating chamber.
- Charger: Separate from the pen itself, this is usually a micro USB and is used to charge your vape battery.
Basically, a vape pen works by providing power to the heating chamber, which then heats the cannabis herbs, oil, or wax, until a vapor is produced. That vapor is then inhaled through the mouthpiece.
My Vape Pen Setup
- Battery + Charger: I prefer the Vuber Pilot Battery ($15.99). It’s a 510 thread battery that comes with its own USB charger. You can buy accessories for your 510 thread battery pack and charger replacements on Amazon.
- Cartridge + Mouthpiece: I recommend using the Phat Panda P-Tank refillable cartridge ($9.99). This it comes with a syringe, refillable cartridge, adjustable air vent, and a silicone mouthpiece cap. Alternatively, you can also use disposable vape cartridges such as this one from West Coast Cure Pen.
How to Use a Vuber Pilot Battery
How to Clean Your Vape Pen
Cleaning your Phat Panda P-tank is easy!
Step 1: When your distillate is out, simply screw the top off and soap the entire thing in soapy warm water.
Step 2: Use a toothbrush to clean the oil from any nooks and crannys of the Phat Panda cartridge.
Step 3: Wipe it down with a towel and allow it to fully dry over night.
It should be ready to use the next day. Never use your Phat Panda cartridge while it’s still wet. Mixing it with distillate will ruin the distillate and even cause your cartridge to short the battery.
Tip for How to Use a Vape Pen:
Store it Properly
If you plan on carrying your vape pen while traveling, it’s important to have a storage case that is airtight and smell-proof. Many cases, such as Stashlogix, have room for your pen as well as all of your accessories.
Keep it Charged
Other considerations for using a vape pen can include making sure that you always have your charging adapter and that your pen is charged and on the off setting when not in use. This is so that you never run out of power for your vape.
As mentioned earlier, when making your initial vaporizer pen purchase, consider what kind of concentrates you’ll want to use. Most pens work only with either oil, wax, or dry herbs. However, there are some nifty all-in-one vaporizers that are slightly larger than a vape pen, but still great to use!
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime. If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.