Updated: 1/11/2022 | Copycat Del Taco Chicken Soft Taco Recipe
What is Del Taco?
They sell affordable and fresh Mexican fast food and are known for their tacos and crinkle cut fries. Yum!
I survived years of college by eating at Del Taco, El Pollo Loco (another Mexican fast-food chain in California), Panda Express, Subway, and In-n-Out Burger (a very popular burger joint in California).
You could get one of Del Taco’s soft chicken tacos for $1 (sometimes less if you buy their taco packs) and a few of these could sustain you an entire day. Add some Macho fries (the large size of their crinkle-cut fries) and you’ve got yourself a feast!
And now I live in a city where none of these fast food delicacies (except Subway) exists. Thanks, Seattle.
Since moving to Washington state in 2013, we’ve only been able to get Del Taco one or two times a year when we fly home to visit our families in SoCal for the holidays. We’ve been deprived of their affordable yet amazing delicious tacos.
One day, I was contemplating what to do with this entire rotisserie chicken from Costco. You get SO MUCH meat from a single chicken and it’s hard to use it up before it goes bad.
I was required to quarantine after contracting COVID-19 (thanks Omicron!) and whipped up some tacos from what I found in my kitchen. This included said rotisserie chicken.
And lo and behold, I serendipitously created a taco that tastes pretty darn close to Del Taco’s chicken soft taco! It won’t look a bit like the OG chicken soft taco, but the taste will be very similar.
Copycat Del Taco Chicken Soft Taco Recipe
Below I’ll share my super simple copycat recipe for Del Taco’s chicken soft tacos. It requires very little cooking that even your children can make without supervision.
Are you ready? Let’s go for it!
- 10 Soft Flour Corn Tortillas
- 3 cups of hand shredded Costco Rotisserie Chicken
- 1/3 Diced Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Diced Red Onion
- 1 cup Sliced Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Lime Crema Sauce
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/5 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 wedge of Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix the Lime Crema ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Let it sit aside so that the fresh garlic flavor infuses the mayo and sour cream.
- Dice the tomatoes and red onions. Mix together in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice the iceberg lettuce and set aside in a bowl.
- Hand shred approximately 3 cups of Costco Rotisserie Chicken. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Leave in a bowl to the side.
- Heat up the flour tortillas in an air fryer or oven. Remove the tortillas before they puff up in the air fryer or oven. In an air fryer, that should 2 minutes at 390 degrees.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and spread the lime crema on first. Then add lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, and red onions. Finish the tacos by topping them with parmesan cheese and your choice of hot sauce.
- The tacos won't look like Del Taco chicken soft tacos, but they'll taste pretty darn close.
- We only had parmesan cheese in the fridge when we created this recipe and now the only cheese we want on our tacos is parmesan cheese.
- This is a great way to use up all your rotisserie chicken so that it does not go to waste. If you're not into tacos, omit the taco shell and try the ingredients over rice and beans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 676Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 100gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 35g
If you enjoyed our Copycat Del Taco chicken soft taco recipe, please share it on Pinterest.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime. If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.