Updated: 1/10/2022 | Best Avocado Toast Recipe
What is Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast became super popular in the 2010s, partly thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow. But in reality, it’s been around much longer.
It’s been featured in Mexican cuisine and in the United States, New York’s Café Gitane is cited as the originator of the dish.
Café Gitane owner Luc Levy and Chef Chloe Osborne said the dish has definitely been on the menu since 2006, but it could have been served even earlier than that. As a child in Australia, Osborne would visit a family friend in Queensland, where she was served avocado on toast.
Regardless of where and how it came to be, avocado toast is an amazing breakfast or brunch dish and can easily be made in the comfort of your own home.
View this post on Instagram
Avocado Toast COmbinations
While we enjoy avocado toast on it’s own, we enjoy it even more when there are toppings! We like to call them LOADED avocado toasts.
There are plenty of ways to assemble your avocado toast to make it exactly how you prefer it. All you need is a good avocado spread and the possibility are entirely up to you.
Here are some combinations we highly recommend:
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Sliced Tomato + Fried Egg + Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Sliced Tomato + Bacon Slices + Fried Egg + Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Shredded Rotisserie Chicken + Sliced Tomato + Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Sliced Tomato + Shredded Cheese + Fried Egg
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Hummus + Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Halved Cherry Tomatoes + Sliced Red Onions + Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Halved Cherry Tomatoes + Mozzarella Balls + Sliced Basil + Balsamic Glaze
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Smoked Salmon + Sliced Red Onions + Capers
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Prosciutto + Burrata Cheese + Olive Oil Drizzle + Pine Nuts
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Diced Tomato + Feta + Scallions + Oil and Vinegar
- Toast + Avocado Spread + Alfalfa Sprouts + Sliced Tomato + Everything Bagel Seasoning
Honestly, the combinations are ENDLESS. The beauty of avocado toast is that you can put almost anything you want on it.
Best Avocado Toast Recipe
Here is our favorite recipe for the avocado spread for your toast. We love our savory blend that is also great to eat as a dip with tortilla chips too. It’s very similar to guacamole.
Related: Best Guacamole Recipe
We have tried avocado slices too, but the creaminess of the spread just really does it for us and holds all the toppings together. Sliced avocado toast looks great for the gram though. Try your avocado toast both ways and see what you prefer more!
We hope you enjoy our avocado toast recipe as much as we do. Bon appetit!
Avocado Toast Spread
- 1 large Hass Avocado
- 2-3 slices of red onion (thinly cut and halved)
- 1 juice from lemon wedge (1/4 or less of a lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the red onions, avocado, onion powder, garlic powder, and lemon juice until thoroughly blended and mashed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast your choice of bread. We like to toast our ciabatta bread in a panini press for 4-5 minutes. When we're in a rush, we'll toast our bread in our air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spoon to top the toasted bread with the avocado spread. This recipe will yield 2 servings (or 4 pieces of avocado toast),
- Top with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- We like to top with an egg when creating a vegetarian option and love using shredded rotisserie chicken when serving a carnivorous option.
- If you have leftover spread (like we always do) eat it like your would guacamole. If you have leftover spread, dice tomatoes and mix it into the spread so that you make guacamole.
- We recommend serving the spread as it is. Do not microwave it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 884mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime. If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to work with us, please visit this page to get in touch.